Fall is not just about enjoying pumpkin spice lattes and snuggling up in sweaters. It’s also a crucial time for home maintenance, like changing your HVAC filters to keep your living environment healthy. In this post, Allison Air Conditioning discusses what you need to know about air filter replacement in the fall season.
Why Should You Change Your Air Filters in the Fall
Regular air filter replacement for air conditioners is crucial, especially in the fall when allergens increase. Clean air filters allow you to maintain indoor air quality as they are able to capture dust, pollen, pet dander and other particles circulating through your HVAC system. With more indoor activities during fall, efficient air filters become essential for reducing allergens, particularly pollen and mold spores, which can worsen allergies and respiratory issues. Changing your air filters regularly can alleviate symptoms for allergy sufferers in your household.
When and How to Change Your Air Filters
Any air conditioning service provider would recommend changing your air filters every one to three months, depending on factors like filter type, household size and presence of pets. However, during the fall season, when allergen levels are higher, it’s a good idea to err on the side of caution and replace filters more frequently.
Here’s a simple step-by-step guide to changing your air filters:
- Locate the filters. Air filters are typically located near the return air duct or in the HVAC unit itself. Refer to your HVAC system’s manual if you’re unsure.
- Turn the system off. Before you start, turn your HVAC system off to ensure safety.
- Remove the old filter. Slide out the old filter and dispose of it properly.
- Note the size. The size of the filter is usually printed on the frame. Make sure you get the right size to ensure a proper fit.
- Insert the new filter. Slide the new filter into the designated slot, making sure to follow the directional arrows that indicate airflow.
- Turn the system on. Once the new filter is securely in place, turn your HVAC system back on.
Whether you need air conditioning repair or maintenance, Allison Air Conditioning is here to help. Call (951) 356-4224 or complete our contact form to book a consultation. We serve clients in Corona, CA, and nearby areas.